eBook Formatting, Research and Editing
for the Rest of Us
Formatting your document for fast, easy eBook publishing.
Fast, professional eBook formatting, priced with the indie author in mind. I can format your manuscript for:
- Kobo and or
- CreateSpace, Book Baby and Espresso
I will provide you a .doc, a .prc, a .mobi an .epub or a .pdf, along with the correctly sized .jpg for the cover. Turn around time depends upon the number of books I am doing that day. Yes, that day. Most are back to you in less than 24 hours. I live where the sailing season is short, so, the quickest turn around will be September through June, but If I am not out on Mystery, I will work in the summer as well. It is just that July and August might not be a one day turn around time. :)
Here is what I do with your work.
All work guaranteed!
You pay nothing until you are satisfied.
The finished price for formatting most books is less than $75.00!
- Short stories
- Others with consultation
- No porn please.
- I accept MS Word files in either .doc or .docx (Other formats "possible" - just ask (.pdf .rtf and others)
- I can produce a Kindle ready .prc file and a Kobo ready .epub or a Nook (B&N) ready .mobi for you to submit.
- I can produce a SmashWords ready .doc file for you to submit.
- This downloadable pdf "Formating your manuscript" can be helpful. If you have alrady done things that the pdf warns against - don't worry, I can fix most things. Use the list for your next work.
These will help if you are just starting to write your masterpiece. If you have it finished already - don't try to change it! I can remove the "offending" things quicker than you can. :)
- The hardest thing for most new eBook authors to understand is that an eBook is not a print paper book. There are no page numbers, fonts and font sizes are fluid and depend upon the reader, not upon you, the author, nor me, the formatter.
- Don't use tabs. They don't format. (If you are past this stage - don't waste your time taking them out. I will.)
- Keep font changes to a minimum and stick with the "normal" fonts - remember - it will be ground up by the publisher (Kindle, Nook etc.) when it is submitted and you can't use the cool fonts like "Brush Script" etc.
I find the safest fonts for the web include:
Arial, Arial Black, Comic Sans MS,
Courier New, Georgia, Impact, Tahoma, Trebuchet MS, and Verdana - sorry, no Wingdings. My preference is Arial 11 - remember - eReaders can make it bigger or smaller at the owner's request. Also - Kindle displays it all as a courier type of font no matter what you do. .
- Don't insert forced page breaks - they are much easier for me to put in for Kindle than they are to take out for SmashWords. (Again - if you are past this stage - don't waste your time taking them out.)
- Work done is $35.00 an hour. I will give a free estimate on the number of hours when you submit the files to me.
- Most books for pure formatting (no editing, no spell checking etc.) take two hours or less. You pay only for the time it takes me.
- Prices are in US dollars.
Compare pricing here: http://www.52novels.com/pricing/
Covers: I will, of course, check your cover to ensure it is formatted for SmashWords, Kindle, Kobo and Nook. They are now require 1600 pixels wide x 2400 pixels tall. - (the old 500 pixels wide and 800 pixels tall, 72 dpi is no longer valid)
What to send me :
- Your edited book in MSWord format. (.doc or .docx).
- Your cover (.jpg 1600 pixels wide x 2400 pixels tall or larger).
- Your front stuff (see below).
- Your end stuff (see below) .
- Any dedications and or acknowledgements.
- Any special requests.
- PayPal works best - talk to me about other formats.
- The money comes to me after you are happy. Not before.
This is just a little check list to make sure you have sent me everything I need - as soon as I get it all I can start.
- The text of your book
- Your cover picture (.jpg - ideally 1600 pixels wide x 2400 pixels tall - if not I will reformat it for you if I can)
- Your "Front Stuff" - the stuff that comes before the story starts - it can be all part of one document - that is OK.
- Copyright Page (if you have anything out of the ordinary) - Example
- Dedication: - Example
- Your "End Stuff" - the stuff that comes after the story ends.
- About the Author - Example
- Other works by the author - Example
- Where to connect with the author - Example
- Maybe a chapter from the next book.
Downloadable Check List - this is important!
To see some of the books I have formatted, please look here: eBook Formatting by Rik
Research, Editing and Consulting
Research, editing and consulting are done at the same rates. And yes, I only bill actual hours spent.
Rik's Personal Pages