Formatting your document for fast, easy, eBook and POD publishing.
Books formatted to date ==> 515
Fast, professional eBook and POD formatting, priced with the indie author in mind. I can format your manuscript for:
- Kobo and or
- CreateSpace, Book Baby and Espresso - To download a small example of CreateSpace formatting, please click here.
Formatting for the rest of us. Fast, affordable and precise.
I will provide you a .doc, a .mobi an .epub or a .pdf, along with the correctly sized .jpg for the cover. Turn around time depends upon the number of books I am doing that day. Yes, that day. Some books are even back to you in less than 24 hours.
Here is my current schedule (updated as often as I can.)
Not Available at All!
I update this as frequently as I can but please allow for last minute discrepancies.
That said, so that you are not disappointed there are factors to be aware of:
- Things are much busier with my formatting than they were three years ago.
- I can always tell you where you are in the queue.
- I travel a bit and when I travel I often do not format (well - sometimes I do if I am bored). But if the schedule above says "No Internet at all" I mean it. We WILL BE where there is no internet. Most likely here!
- I live where the sailing season is short, so, the quickest turn around will be September through June. But even if we are out on Mystery, I will work in the summer. It is just that July and August might be a two or three day turn around time.
- I answer all emails within a day of getting them. Usually within the hour. BUT - if we are traveling, email response is often slower. If I do not respond in two days, email me again.
Click here to see what I do with your work.
All work guaranteed!
You pay nothing until you are satisfied.
The finished price for formatting most books is often less than $75.00 per book!
- Short stories
- Picture books
- Comic books
- Others with consultation
- I do not handle sex based books of any kind, such as pornography, or erotica.
These will help if you are just starting to write your masterpiece. If you have it finished already - don't try to change it! I can remove the "offending" things quicker than you can. :)
- The hardest thing for most new eBook authors to understand is that an eBook is not a print paper book. There are no page numbers, fonts and font sizes are fluid and depend upon the reader, not upon you, the author, nor me, the formatter.
- Don't use tabs. They don't format. (If you are past this stage - don't waste your time taking them out. I will.)
- Keep font changes to a minimum and stick with the "normal" fonts - remember - it will be ground up by the publisher (Kindle, Nook etc.) when it is submitted and you can't use the cool fonts like "Brush Script" etc.
I find the safest fonts for the web include:
Arial, Arial Black, Comic Sans MS,
Courier New, Georgia, Impact, Tahoma, Trebuchet MS, and Verdana - sorry, no Wingdings. My preference is Arial 11 - remember - eReaders can make it bigger or smaller at the owner's request. Also - Kindle displays it all as a courier type of font no matter what you do. .
- To show a scene change, the most common way is to separate the two lines with four or five asterisks. For example:
... and then we went to bed
The next morning came early ...
When I format, I will center the asterisks.
- Work done is $45.00 an hour.
I will give a free estimate on the number of hours when you submit the files to me.
- Most books for pure formatting (no editing, no spell checking etc.) take two hours or less. You pay only for the time it takes me.
- Prices are in US dollars.
- Payment is by PayPal. I can bill via a PayPal invoice. (You don't need to belong to PayPal. You can use a regular credit or debit card with them too.)
- Things that take longer and hence cost you more are:
- special formatting for poems
- special formatting for non-fiction
- using a large number of graphics
- changes you want to make to your text after it has been formatted. When you look at the proof copy I send you, any formatting changes are quick and easy, any editing changes take longer. Please make sure you send me your best, cleanest copy.
Copy editing is 0.75 a page. A page is 12 point, NTR, 8.5 x 11 inches.
Compare pricing here:
Covers: I will, of course, check your cover to ensure it is formatted for SmashWords, Kindle, Kobo . They now require 1400 pixels wide x 2000 pixels tall at least 100 dpi.
What to send me
- Your edited book:
a - for eBooks - Your cover (.jpg At lease 1400 pixels wide x 2000 pixels tall or larger and at least 100 dpi).
- in MS Word format. (.doc or .docx). Make sure it includes:
- Your front stuff (see below). The front stuff is usually part of the document.
- Your end stuff (see below) . The end stuff is usually part of the document.
- Any dedications and or acknowledgements. These too are is usually part of the document.
- These are most often all in one document - you do not have to send four separate files
b - for Print books - once the book is formatted I will tell you the page count for your cover designer - I do not need the cover.
Any special requests.
I cannot format your work until I have all of the parts.
- I accept PayPal. I can bill via a PayPal invoice if you like. (You don't need to belong to PayPal. You can use a regular credit or debit card with them too. Just let me know)
- The money comes to me after you are happy. Not before.
This is just a little check list to make sure you have sent me everything I need - as soon as I get it all I can start.
- The text of your book
- Your cover for eBooks
- Your "Front Stuff" included in the document - the stuff that comes before the story starts.
- Copyright Page (if you have anything out of the ordinary) - Example
- Dedication: - Example
- Your "End Stuff" included in the document - the stuff that comes after the story ends.
- About the Author - Example
(An author picture if you like)
- Other works by the author - Example
- Where to connect with the author - Example
- Maybe a chapter from the next book.
Downloadable Check List - this is important!
To see some of the books I have formatted, please look here: eBook Formatting by Rik
Research, Editing and Consulting
Research, editing and consulting are done at the same rates. And yes, I only bill actual hours spent.
(For the Professional Novel Proposal Evaluation page, click HERE)
Contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The "real" Rik <Husband Rik><Magic Rik><Sailor Rik><Captain Hook ><Artist Rik>