Formatting your document for fast, easy, eBook and POD publishing.
Books formatted to date ==> 542
Fast, professional eBook and POD formatting, priced with the indie author in mind. I can format your manuscript for:
- Kindle, SmashWords, Nook, PDF, Kobo and or
- CreateSpace, Book Baby and Espresso - To download a small example of CreateSpace formatting, please click here.
Formatting for the rest of us. Fast, affordable and precise.
I will provide you a .doc, a .mobi an .epub or a .pdf, along with the correctly sized .jpg for the cover. Turn around time depends upon the number of books I am doing that day. Yes, that day. Some books are even back to you in less than 24 hours.
Here is my current schedule (updated as often as I can.)
Not Available at All!
I update this as frequently as I can but please allow for last minute discrepancies.
||January 1, 2015
Click here to see what I do with your work.
All work guaranteed!
You pay nothing until you are satisfied.
The finished price for formatting most books is often less than $75.00 per book for multiple file types!
- Short stories
- Picture books
- Others with consultation
- I do not handle sex based books of any kind, such as pornography, or erotica.
- I accept MS Word files in either .doc or .docx (Other formats "possible" - just ask (.rtf and others)
- I can produce a Kindle ready .mobi file and a Kobo ready .epub or a Nook (B&N) ready .mobi for you to submit.
- I can produce a SmashWords ready .doc file for you to submit.
- I can produce a CreateSpace ready .PDF file for you to submit.
- This downloadable pdf "Formatting your manuscript" can be helpful. If you have already done things that the pdf warns against - don't worry, I can fix most things. Use the list for your next work.
- That said - there are really only a few things you need to do. You need to:
- Indicate italics (just select the word(s) by highlighting them and click on the little "i" at the top
- Make sure your file has been edited and proofed. I work by teh hour, so making changes for you are always done, but making changes because you did not proof read cost you money :)
These will help if you are just starting to write your masterpiece. If you have it finished already - don't try to change it! I can remove the "offending" things quicker than you can. :)
- The hardest thing for most new eBook authors to understand is that an eBook is not a print paper book. There are no page numbers, fonts and font sizes are fluid and depend upon the reader, not upon you, the author, nor me, the formatter.
- Keep thefont simple and stick with the "normal" fonts - remember - it will be ground up by the publisher (Kindle, Nook etc.) when it is submitted and you can't use the cool fonts like "Brush Script" etc.
I find the safest fonts for the web include: Arial, Arial Black, Comic Sans MS,
Courier New, Georgia, Impact, Tahoma, Trebuchet MS, and Verdana - sorry, no Wingdings. My preference is Arial 11 - remember - eReaders can make it bigger or smaller at the owner's request. Also - Kindle displays it all as a courier type of font no matter what you do. .
- To show a scene change, the most common way is to separate the two lines with four or five asterisks. For example:
... and then we went to bed
The next morning came early ...
When I format, I will center the asterisks.
- Work done is $45.00 an hour.
I will give a free estimate on the number of hours when you submit the files to me.
- Most books for pure formatting (no editing, no spell checking etc.) take two hours or less. You pay only for the time it takes me.
- Prices are in US dollars.
- Payment is by PayPal. I can bill via a PayPal invoice. (You don't need to belong to PayPal. You can use a regular credit or debit card with them too.)
- Things that take longer and hence cost you more are:
- special formatting for poems
- special formatting for non-fiction
- using a large number of graphics
- changes you want to make to your text after it has been formatted. When you look at the proof copy I send you, any formatting changes are quick and easy, any editing changes take longer. Please make sure you send me your best, cleanest copy.
Compare pricing here:
Covers: I will, of course, check your cover to ensure it is formatted for SmashWords, Kindle, Kobo . They now require 1400 pixels wide x 2400 pixels tall at least 100 dpi.
What to send me
- Your edited book:
- in MS Word format. (.doc or .docx). Make sure it includes:
- Your front stuff (see below). The front stuff is usually part of the document.
- Your end stuff (see below) . The end stuff is usually part of the document.
- Any dedications and or acknowledgements. These too are is usually part of the document.
a - for eBooks - Your cover (.jpg At lease 1400 pixels wide x 2000 pixels tall or larger and at least 100 dpi).
These are most often all in one document - you do not have to send four separate files
b - for Print books - I need the trim size! Once the book is formatted I will tell you the page count for your cover designer - I do not need the cover.
Any special requests.
I cannot format your work until I have all of the parts.
- I accept PayPal. I can bill via a PayPal invoice if you like. (You don't need to belong to PayPal. You can use a regular credit or debit card with them too. Just let me know)
- The money comes to me after you are happy. Not before.
This is just a little check list to make sure you have sent me everything I need - as soon as I get it all I can start.
- The text of your book
- Your cover for eBooks
- Your "Front Stuff" included in the document - the stuff that comes before the story starts.
- Copyright Page (if you have anything out of the ordinary) - Example
- Dedication: - Example
- Your "End Stuff" included in the document - the stuff that comes after the story ends.
- About the Author - Example
(An author picture if you like)
- Other works by the author - Example
- Where to connect with the author - Example
- Maybe a chapter from the next book.
Downloadable Check List - this is important!
To see some of the books I have formatted, please look here: eBook Formatting by Rik
Research and Consulting
Research and consulting are done at the same rates. And yes, I only bill actual hours spent.
(For the Professional Novel Proposal Evaluation page, click HERE)
Contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The "real" Rik <Husband Rik><Magic Rik><Sailor Rik><Captain Hook ><Artist Rik>