Novel Proposal Evaluation (by Linda Hall)
- Do you wonder if your novel will make it to an agent’s or editor’s desk?
- Do you wonder if your piece of fiction is “good enough” for publication?
- Have you begun a novel, you’re in the middle, and are getting cold feet?
- Do you wonder if anyone will read your self-published book?
- Would you like an impartial critique before you invest a lot more time and effort into finishing it?
I can provide a Professional Evaluation of the first chapters of your novel, (up to 7,000 words) and of your synopsis (up to 1,500 words).
I will evaluate the proposal in two ways:
The Big Picture
- Is your idea one that would translate well into a full length novel?
- Are there discrepancies in your novel and synopsis in terms of character type, etc. (for instance, would that frightened young woman really venture into her darkened basement when she hears a noise?)
- Does the synopsis make sense and is it readable? (Agents and editors routinely say that their ‘eyes glaze over’ when reading a lot of synopses. Therefore, your synopsis must be bright, clear and engrossing.)
- What makes the reader want to turn the pages in your novel?
“Zoom in” Picture
- Is your voice unique?
- Are there paragraph, page and chapter hooks in your sample chapters?
- Do you have a grasp of basic grammar, punctuation and spelling?
What you can expect from me:
- Your manuscript returned to you via email with track changes in red in MS Word format.
- A personal letter in which I will outline ways to improve.
- Recommendations of various craft books, websites and blogs which will fit your particular situations.
- Eighteen traditionally published novels.
- Short stories published in four anthologies.
- Five indie published short stories.
- Three new indie published novels.
- Fifteen years as instructor and tutor with the Longridge Writers Group, critiquing manuscripts, synopses, and first chapters.
- Judge for more than a dozen writing contests.
- Keynote speaker and workshop presenter at numerous international writing conferences
- One-on-one feedback at writers conferences.
- $99 payable via PayPal only. $50.00 up front and the rest payable upon your receipt of files.
- (You don’t need to belong to PayPal. You can use a regular credit or debit card with them too.)
Contact me (Linda Hall):